Spartan FLI: First‐Generation Leadership and Innovation Program
Mission: The First-Generation Initiative aims to inspire first-generation college students to persist and graduate by eliminating barriers, providing high-impact learning experiences, and ongoing development. The program will increase first-generation college student persistence and retention rates by removing opportunity gaps, maintaining parent resources, and providing a multi-level support system that consists of peer mentors, faculty, and staff.
Vision: We envision the program becoming a national model for first-generation student success best practices by making data-driven decisions to cultivate a culture of access, inclusion, and pride to support first-generation college student progression and graduation.
Program Criteria: The First-Gen Program is open to In State and Out of State students of all majors. To be eligible for the program, students must meet the following criteria:
- Identify as a first–generation college student
- Agree to fully participate and engage in the program
- Be a domestic U.S. Student
- Submit completed program application
Program Benefits: Participation in the First-Gen Program affords students many benefits, including:
- Supportive community of professionals and peers
- Financial aid and financial literacy assistance
- Leadership and professional development
- Scholarships each year of participation
- Peer mentoring
- Advising and coaching from professionals